CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Dartmouth men’s tennis team completed the 2013-14 season with a 4-1 deficit on the road at Harvard on Saturday afternoon.
The Crimson took the doubles point to begin play, as seen live on the Ivy League Digital Network, winning on all three courts.
“Congratulations to Harvard. They played well and took it to us from the start of doubles through the first sets of singles," said head coach Chris Drake.
Dartmouth won its only point at the number one spot in singles competition. Dovydas Sakinis won in straight sets 6-4, 6-1 over Denis Nguyen.
Dartmouth finished the season 5-2 in the league – the most Ivy wins in program history since 1998 and 18-6 overall which is tied for the most wins in a season ever.
Should Dartmouth's 42nd overall ranking be good enough to secure a spot in the NCAA Tournament, the team will find out during the selection show on Tuesday at 5 p.m. streamed line on NCAA.com.
"Once our backs were against the wall we fought back and almost made the match really interesting. That being said, the hole was just a bit too big and we couldn’t dig all the way out. To get where we want to go we have to continue to improve because the Ivy league is as strong as its ever been. I told the team that the mountain we started to climb four years ago seems to just keep getting higher but we have to be determined to keep climbing with our eyes on getting to the top," commented Drake.
“We will find out our fate in terms of the NCAA on Tuesday. We are in the range of teams to be considered and it would be great to get in as I know this group would love another crack at some great competition, but it’s out of our hands now.”
1. MacMaster/Nguyen (H) def. Cameron Ghorbani/Brendan Tannenbaum (D), 8-3
2. Hu/Yeung (H) def. Chris Kipouras/George Wall (D), 8-2
3. Schultz/Beltrame (H) def. Dovydas Sakinis/Brandon DeBot (D), 8-6
1. Sakinis (D) def. Nguyen (H), 6-4, 6-1
2. Beltrame (H) def. Kipouras (D), 7-5, 6-2
3. Chaudhuri (H) def. Ghorbani (D), 6-1, 6-4
4. Steinroeder (H) vs. Diego Pedraza (D), 6-2, 4-6, 1-1 (DNF)
5. Yeung (H) vs. DeBot (D), 6-4, 5-7, 4-3 (DNF)
6. Hu (H) def. Wall (D), 6-1, 6-4