Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Track and Field mm
Men's Tennis mm

Dartmouth and No. 12 Cornell Play to 1-1 Draw at Thompson

Article Image
By Mark Washburn
HANOVER, N.H. – For the sixth time in the last 10 meetings between the two, Dartmouth and Cornell’s men’s hockey teams needed overtime. However, the extra frame did nothing to change the score as the game ended in a 1-1 draw Saturday night inside Thompson Arena.
The Big Green’s record now stands at 3-13-3 overall and 2-9-1 in ECAC Hockey play with the tie. The 12th-ranked Big Red are now 9-4-4 overall and 5-3-2 in league games.
Sophomore James Kruger got the start in the Dartmouth crease for the second time this season, turning aside a career-high 23 shots in 65 minutes of action. At the other end of the ice, Cornell’s Andy Iles had to make 32 stops as the Green kept coming in waves throughout the night.
The highlight of the evening for the home team came midway through the second as sophomore Connor Dempsey picked up his first career goal, the lone tally for the Green and White in the contest.
“The game was up and down and had really good goaltending and defense on both sides,” head coach Bob Gaudet said. “The guys are disappointed we didn't win, but we could have and I thought we were physical and tough.
“We played really well from our goaltender on out and got better as the game went on. That's a really big step for us. I liked the energy and passion the guys battled with,” Gaudet continued.
Dustin Mowrey got the visitors on the board just 4:25 into the opening period, knocking in his own rebound at the top of the crease. Despite trailing 1-0 after the first 20 minutes, Dartmouth controlled play and held a 13-7 advantage in shots.
It wouldn’t be until 7:04 of the second period that home team would capitalize on its strong play as Dempsey notched the first goal of his career. The Winthrop, Mass., native, corralled the puck in the crease after a Geoff Ferguson shot from the point ricocheted off Tim O'Brien, giving the winger an open net to deposit his first collegiate marker.
Neither team scored in the third period or overtime as the two goaltenders dominated play in the final 25 minutes.
Cornell was 0-for-2 with the man-advantage, while the Big Green were unable to capitalize on any of their five opportunities with the extra skater. The Green finished the night with a 33-24 edge in shots on goal.
Dartmouth returns to action next weekend with just one game on the road at Rensselaer on Friday night.