Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Dartmouth Makes it Close Late But Falls to Maine, 4-2

Article Image
By John and Matt Risley

HANOVER, N.H. – Senior Olivia Quaglia and sophomore Eliza Becker scored two quick goals early on in the second half, but the Dartmouth field hockey team fell, 4-2, Tuesday afternoon to Maine at Chase AstroTurf Field.

The loss drops the Big Green to 4-7 overall this season, while the Black Bears improve to 8-6 win the win.

The visitors took an early 2-0 lead on goals from Sydney Veljacic and Danielle Aviani in the fifth and 10th minutes, respectively. The two-goal advantage stood for the rest of the first half and the opening minutes of the final frame before Holly Stewart made it a 3-0 lead in the 42nd minute.

The Green and White wasted little time in answering Stewart’s marker as Quaglia made it 3-1 just 2:07 later. After a Dartmouth penalty corner was stopped, the ball was loose in the circle when a Maine player fell on it, giving the home team a penalty stroke opportunity.

It was Quaglia’s shot that started the play, so it seemed fitting that it would be the senior from Los Altos, Calif., that would finish it, going to the top left corner of the net on the stroke and pulling her team to within two.

Becker continued her hot play of late as she notched her fourth of the season and second in as many games just two and a half minutes later.

Once again it was Quaglia starting things with a shot from the high left portion of the circle on a corner play. This time, the shot was redirected by Becker above the collective sticks of the on-rushing defensive unit and into the netting, forcing Maine to burn its timeout to re-group following the Big Green’s sudden resurgence in the visitors’ end.

However, the flurry of goals concluded with Maine’s Nicole Sevey getting the insurance marker rather than a Dartmouth player scoring the equalizer. Less than two minutes after Becker’s tally, Sevey knocked in a loose ball through traffic to once again give the Black Bears the two-goal lead.

The final 20 minutes were a back-and-forth affair with neither team able to find the back of the cage again, giving Maine its fourth straight win in the series dating back to 2009.

The final shot total read 20-14 in favor of the visiting Black Bears. They also held an 11-7 advantage in corners thanks in large part to a 5-0 first-half figure.

Junior Ellen Meyer made several key saves in the game, including four in the second half, finishing with six for the afternoon. At the other end of the field, her counterpart in Maine’s Kolysher Sydney posted five saves in her 70 minutes of play.

Dartmouth returns to Ivy League play Saturday in New Haven as it takes on Yale at noon.