HANOVER, N.H. - In a tightly defended and highly physical contest, the Dartmouth men’s soccer team tied local foe Vermont, 1-1, in double overtime at Burnham Field on Tuesday evening.

Dartmouth now 4-0-4 overall, increased its unbeaten streak to eight games, the program’s best start since the 1978 season, when the team started 6-0-2.

The second half and overtime periods proved to be filled with the most excitement as two goals, two yellow cards and a game-ending red card highlighted the final 65 minutes of play. After 45 minutes of scoreless action, the Big Green held a 4-2 advantage in shots.

In the second half, each team allowed for more offensive opportunities and in the 72nd minute Vermont’s Noah Johnson had a wide open shot that sailed wide and high of the cage.

Three minutes later, the Big Green broke the scoreless affair on an incredible shot by junior Alex Adelabu. Standing adjacent to the net on the goal line, Adelabu sent a shot that barely crossed over the goal line and needed assistance from the linesman.

Vermont (6-1-3) responded quickly and tied the contest as Brian Wright regained his initial shot that hit the post and buried the rebound past freshman keeper James Hickok. Wright sent another shot on goal late in the stanza, but Hickok denied him the go-ahead tally. 

Junior Gabe Stauber had the best chance to win the game for his squad in the first overtime, but his blast was steered aside resulting in a corner kick for the Green.  The hosts were awarded two more corner kicks in the first overtime period as they buzzed around the net.

In the waning seconds of the contest, a scrum filled the Dartmouth six-yard box as Vermont tried fiercely to get off a shot before the buzzer went off, but the Green and White held their ground.

Dartmouth outshot Vermont 13-8 in the contest, but the Catamounts had a 9-7 edge in corner kicks. Hickok made three saves for the Big Green and Conor Leland made seven stops.

The Big Green will begin Ivy League play on Saturday afternoon when they welcome Princeton to Burnham Field for a 4:30 p.m. kickoff.