Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Alnas Caps Comeback with Double-Overtime Winner Against BC

Article Image
By John and Matt Risley

HANOVER, N.H. — Junior Robin Alnas slipped in a loose-ball rebound in the 105th minute to lift the Dartmouth men’s soccer team to a 3-2 double-overtime victory Monday evening against visiting Boston College at Burnham Field.

Three times junior Alex Adelabu was denied on point-blank shots low in the box, but managed to push a centering feed from a seated position out to the streaking Alnas just inside the six-meter box.

The win helped the Big Green (1-0-1) escape two straight draws on its home field to open the 2013 campaign after playing to a 1-1 contest Saturday against Holy Cross in the opener. For an Eagles team that held a 2-1 lead late into the second half, the devastating loss dropped their record to 1-2-1 on the young season.

That one-goal lead the visitors had evaporated in the 86th minute when freshman Alexander Marsh finished a crossing pass from Colin Heffron with a one-touch redirect just inside the far post, sending the game to extra time.

Marsh and Dartmouth benefitted from a red card issued to BC’s Isaac Normesinu in the 84th minute after an elbowing incident at midfield. Playing up a man and looking for the equalizer, Marsh and Heffron were up to the task of tying the game and setting up Alnas for the late-game heroics.

The win was the first in the head-coaching career for Dartmouth’s Chad Riley, now in his first season at the helm of the program.

Things were much different in the early going, however, as the Eagles jumped out to a 2-0 lead a little bit more than halfway through the first with two goals separated by just 65 seconds. Diego Medina-Mendez and Nick Butler both netted their first goals of the season, finding space in the box in the 28th and 29th minutes.

Dartmouth answered back in the 35th minute as Justin Rosner took a beautiful feed from Colin Skelly in the box and knocked home his first of the year. Alberto Gorini started the play with a well-placed corner kick onto the foot of Skelly, who pushed the ball behind him to the far post where Rosner was stationed for the nearly uncontested redirect.

For the game, Dartmouth held an overwhelming advantage in corners with 10 to Boston College’s three. The home team also held an advantage, albeit a smaller one, in shots, 19-17.

Tasked with facing those shots for Dartmouth was freshman James Hickok, making his collegiate debut. He picked up the win while making five saves in the process. At the other end of field, Eagles goalkeeper Alex Kapp turned aside seven Big Green attempts.

Dartmouth will be back in action on Friday, Sept. 13 when it hosts Lafayette in the third of four straight home games to open the season. Game time is set for 5 p.m. from Burnham Field. The women’s team will play Fordham in the second game of Friday’s doubleheader. That contest is scheduled for a 7:30 p.m. opening kick.