Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Last-Minute Goal Leads Hartford Past Dartmouth

Article Image
By John and Matt Risley

HANOVER, N.H. – A late rally fell short for the Dartmouth men’s lacrosse team as it lost, 8-7, to Hartford on Tuesday afternoon in non-conference action at Scully-Fahey Field.

The Big Green (2-8) dropped their sixth game in a row, while the Hawks (5-5) picked up their first ever win in seven tries against the team from the Upper Valley.

With the game tied at seven and under a minute to play, Dartmouth’s Jack Connolly fired a shot wide of net and Hartford won the foot race to the ball to earn control of the ball.

On the ensuing possession, the Hawks drew a tripping call on Big Green defenseman Eric Clemmenson with 36 seconds left in regulation. During the man-up opportunity, Garrett Dollard netted the game winner for Hartford with 15.6 ticks to go off a nice pass from Jack Bobzien.

Dartmouth won the final faceoff of the game, but Phil Hession’s game-tying bid was stopped by Hartford netminder Frank Piechota to seal the victory.

The thrilling finished matched the tempo of hard fought, back-and-forth battle. From the opening faceoff the two squads battled, trading goals throughout the first half, as Dartmouth took its biggest lead of the day at 3-1 early in the second quarter when Patrick Campbell scored his second goal of the season.

Hartford ended the half scoring three goals sandwiched around a Brendan Rotanz marker for the Big Green, to make it 4-4 at the break.

Hartford scored two unanswered tallies in the third as the Hawks defense held Dartmouth scoreless in the period to take a 6-4 advantage into the final 15 minutes.

In the fourth, Chris Costabile brought Dartmouth within one, with his team best 18th goal of the season. Several minutes later, Hartford responded stretching the lead back to two as Jared Franze netted an unassisted goal.

With under 4:30 remaining, Nikki Dysenchuk and Mike Olentine scored 30 seconds apart for the Big Green to tie the game up heading down the stretch.

Offensively, freshman KC Beard returned to his early season form scoring a goal and picking up a pair of assists to pace the Dartmouth attack.

For just the second time this season, the Big Green were held scoreless when a man up, going for 0-1 on the day, while Hartford was 1-for-2 thanks to Dollard’s last minute tally.

Dartmouth goaltender Bernie Susskind (2-8) made 15 saves in a losing effort and Piechota (4-5) turned aside 15 shots to pick up the victory.

Dartmouth returns to action this Saturday, April 13, hosting No. 9/10 Princeton in Ivy League action at Scully-Fahey Field at 1 p.m. The Big Green are looking to avenge a 21-6 defeat a year ago at Sherrerd Field at Class of 52 Stadium.