Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Colgate Spoils Return to Leede Arena in 78-62 Defeat

Article Image
Sophomore Jvonte Brooks     By Steve Rodriguez

HANOVER, N.H. — Dartmouth sophomore Jvonte Brooks matched his career high with 18 points, but visiting Colgate drilled 10-of-13 three-pointers (.769) and got 21 points from Murphy Burnatowski to defeat the Big Green, 78-62, and spoil their first home game in six weeks. The victory was the third in the last four games for Colgate (6-10), while Dartmouth (2-10) lost its seventh straight contest.

Burnatowski led four Raiders in double figures as he hit 5-of-7 from the floor, including both three-point attempts, and 9-of-10 at the line to account for his 21 points. Luke Roh added 15 with a team-high eight rebounds, Mitch Rolls had 12 and Brandon James 10 off the bench. As a team, Colgate shot 52.3 percent (23-of-44) overall and 81.5 percent (22-of-27) at the free throw line, plus held a 36-28 advantage on the glass.

Brooks was 6-of-10 on field goals and 6-of-8 on free throws for his 18 points to go along with eight rebounds to lead Dartmouth. Junior Tyler Melville provided 11 points and freshman Malik Gill scored 10, all in the second half.

What was a back-and-forth affair for the first seven-and-a-half minutes turned into a three-point shooting clinic by Colgate. The two squads were tied at 11 when Burnatowski drained both of his triples on back-to-back possessions. After sophomore John Golden drove the lane for a layup, James ripped the nets from downtown. Melville answered right back with his first of two three-pointers on the night, but the Raiders then ran off nine straight points, including a trey from Damon Sherman-Newsome, for a 29-16 advantage.

Dartmouth briefly drew within single digits when Brooks and freshman Kevin Crescenzi scored a basket, only to have Pat Moore drill his second trifecta of the half. Colgate added two more threes before the intermission, the last one coming on a desperation shot from the far corner by Roh as the buzzer sounded, giving the Raiders a 40-24 lead. Colgate finished the half 8-of-11 behind the arc and a whopping 17-1 advantage on points off turnovers, despite committing just one fewer miscue than the Big Green.

In the second half, the Raiders picked up where they left off, scoring quickly to start the stanza before Rolls knocked down a three-pointer for a 21-point lead, causing Dartmouth head coach Paul Cormier to burn a timeout. Brooks started a modest five-point Big Green run with three free throws before sophomore Gabas Maldunas dropped in a lefty hook in the lane, making it a 45-29 game. But Moore hit the 10th and final triple — the last three-pointer the Raiders would take for the night — to quell the small uprising with 15:05 left on the clock.

The Dartmouth deficit wavered between 15 and 20 points for close to the next nine minutes when a Rolls jumper boosted the Raider advantage to 22 at 66-44. The Big Green then strung together their longest run of the night with nine straight points. The first seven came on free throws — four by Gill, two by Maldunas and another by Melville — before Maldunas laid one in, whittling the lead down to 13 at 66-63 with 4:42 to play, the closest the Green had been since the final seconds of the first half.

Dartmouth would get no closer, however, as Colgate stretched its lead back to 19 before settling for the 16-point difference.

Next up for the Big Green is another Patriot League foe in Army (7-7), which invades Leede Arena on Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. Colgate opens its conference schedule next Saturday at home against American at 8 p.m.