NEW HAVEN, Conn. — With its 5-2 victory at 73rd-ranked Yale on Sunday, the 60th-ranked Dartmouth men's tennis team set a new single-season wins record. The Big Green won 17 matches in 1996 and 1997, and with the win at New Haven. this year's team improved to 18-3 overall and 4-2 in the Ivy League. The Bulldogs fell to 13-10 overall and 2-4 in the conference.
Dartmouth took an early advantage after it claimed the doubles point by winning at the second and third spots. Sophomore Brandon DeBot (Stevens Point, Wis.) and junior Xander Centenari (Towson, Md.) won at second, 8-5, and sophomore Cameron Ghorbani (Lexington Mass.) and junior Mike Jacobs (Oak Park, Ill.) earned a 9-7 victory in the third spot.
Centenari gave the team its second point with a straight-set win at second singles, 6-3, 6-2. Yale won at first and third singles, but the Big Green won the final three points, taking fourth through six singles. In each of the three matches, Dartmouth needed three sets to secure the victories.
At the fourth spot, freshman Chris Kipouras (San Ramon, Calif.) defeated Erik Blumenkranz, 6-2, 5-7, 6-3. Senior Chris Ho (Los Altos, Calif.) bested Kyle Dawson, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4, at fifth singles. In the sixth spot, DeBot lost the opening set, 6-4, to Joel Samaha, but battled back to win the second, 6-1, and the third, 6-1, to take the win.
Dartmouth finishes the regular season on Saturday, April 28, when it travels to 24th-ranked Harvard for a 2 p.m. match. A Big Green victory against the Crimson would ensure a share of the Ivy League title.
Dartmouth 5, Yale 2
1. John Huang (YALE) def. Michael Laser (DAR): 6-3, 6-0
2. (DAR) def. Marc Powers (YALE): 6-3, 6-2
3. Daniel Hoffman (YALE) def. (DAR): 7-5, 7-5
4. (DAR) def. Erik Blumenkranz (YALE): 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
5. (DAR) def. Kyle Dawson (YALE): 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
6. (DAR) def. Joel Samaha (YALE): 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
1. Hoffman/Powers (YALE) def. Laser/Alex de Chatellus (DAR): 9-7
2. DeBot/Centenari (DAR) def. Huang/Patrick Chase (YALE): 8-5
3. Ghorbani/ (DAR) def. Blumenkranz/Samaha (YALE): 9-7