PRINCETON, N.J. — The Dartmouth women's tennis team fell 6-1 at Princeton on Satuday, with junior co-captain Sarah Leonard (Norwalk, Conn.) securing the lone win for the Big Green at No. 1 singles. The Big Green dropped to 7-10 overall and 1-2 Ivy League, while the Tigers moved to 9-10 on the year and 2-2 in the conference.
Dartmouth narrowly dropped the doubles point, 2-1, with sophomore Rachel Decker-Sadowski (Santa Barbara, Calif.) and freshman Janet Liu (Palo Alto, Calif.) winning, 9-8, at No. 2. Junior Jeri Reichel (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) and freshman Theresa Smith (University Park, Fla.) were edged 9-7 at No. 3, while Leonard and freshman Akiko Okuda (Tenafly, N.J.) fell 8-6 at No. 1 to the country's No. 30 team of Hilary Bartlett and Lindsay Graf.
In singles, Leonard defeated Bartlett, the country's No. 100 player and 2010 Ivy League Player of the Year, 6-1, 6-4. Two other singles matches went to three sets with sophomore Melissa Matsuoka (Newport Beach, Calif.) losing a third-set super-breaker at No. 4 to Rachel Saiontz, a three-time second team All-Ivy honoree. At No. 5 singles, Smith played a tiebreaker at 4-4 in the third set since the overall match had been decided, but ultimately fell to Monica Chow.
Dartmouth returns to action on Sunday at Penn at 12 p.m.
Princeton 6, Dartmouth 1
1. (D) def. (100) Hilary Bartlett (P): 6-1, 6-4
2. Lindsay Graff (P) def. (D): 6-4, 6-3
3. Katherine Flanigan (P) def. (D): 6-2, 6-1
4. Rachel Saiontz (P) def. (D): 6-4, 6-7(4), (10-4)
5. Monica Chow (P) def. (D): 3-6, 6-1, 5-4v(7)
6. Katie Goepel (P) def. Sabrina Stewart (D): 6-2, 6-4
1. (30) Bartlett/Graff (P) def. Leonard/Okuda (D): 8-6
2. Decker-Sadowski/Liu (D) def. Goepel/Saiontz (P): 9-8v(2)
3. Chow/Flanigan (P) def. Reichel/Smith (D): 9-7