ITHACA, N.Y. — The 67th-ranked Dartmouth men's tennis team rebounded from a loss on Friday to win at Cornell on Saturday, 4-3, for the Big Green's first Ivy League win. Dartmouth improved to 15-2 overall and 1-1 in the Ivy League. The Big Red dropped to 7-14 on the season and 0-3 in the conference.
The Big Green took an early 1-0 lead when they swept the three doubles matches. Senior Michael Laser (Glencoe, Ill.) and junior Alex de Chatellus (Tiburon, Calif.) won at first doubles, 8-3. In the second spot, junior Xander Centenari (Towson, Md.) and sophomore Brandon DeBot (Stevens Point, Wis.) won, 8-4, and sophomore Cameron Ghorbani (Lexington, Mass.) and Mike Jacobs (Oak Park, Ill.) won at third, 8-4.
In singles, the two teams split the six matches, but the three victories for Dartmouth were enough to secure the 4-3 overall victory. Ghorbani won in straight sets at the third spot, 6-4, 6-2, over Danny Riggs. Freshman Chris Kipouras (San Ramon, Calif.) earned a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Alex Sidney in fourth singles. At fifth singles, senior Chris Ho (Los Altos, Calif.) topped Jason Luu, 6-3, 6-1.
The Big Green return home for the first time since they hosted the ECAC Championship on Feb. 17-19 when they play Princeton on Friday, April 14, at 2 p.m.
#67 DARTMOUTH 4, CORNELL 3
Sunday, April 8
At Reis Tennis Center; Ithaca, N.Y.
1. Venkat Iyer (C) def. Michael Laser, 6-3, 6-1
2. Sam Fleck (C) def. Xander Centenari, 6-1, 6-1
3. Cameron Ghorbani (D) def. Danny Riggs, 6-4, 6-2
4. Chris Kipouras (D) def. Alex Sidney, 6-1, 6-3
5. Chris Ho (D) def. Jason Luu, 6-3, 6-1
6. Quoc-Daniel Nguyen (C) def. Brandon DeBot, 7-6(1), 4-6, 1-0
1. Laser/Alex de Chatellus (D) def. Fleck/Luu, 8-3
2. Centenari/DeBot (D) def. Riggs/Sidney, 8-4
3. Ghorbani/Jacobs (D) def. Iyer/Nguyen, 8-4