COTO DE CAZA, Calif. — The Dartmouth women's tennis team fell 7-0 to No. 38 Purdue University on Friday, March 16th, in Coto de Caza, Calif. The Big Green fell to 4-7 while the Boilermakers, who had beaten No. 37 Long Beach State 7-0 a day earlier, moved to 9-1.
Purdue swept the doubles point winning all three matches. In singles, freshman Theresa Smith (University Park, Fla.) had the closest match at fourth singles. She went to a first set tiebreaker against Daniela Vidal but fell in the opening set, 7-6 (7-4). Vidal used the momentum of the first to close out the match, 6-0, in the second. Sophomore Sabrina Stewart (London, England) fell at the fifth spot, 6-4, 6-2 to Gisella Pere.
Dartmouth's match on Satuday against Cal State Northridge was canceled due to rain and the Big Green next play Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on Monday at 11 a.m.
No. 38 Purdue 7, Dartmouth 0
1. Sarah Leonard lost to Jen Rabot 6-0, 6-2
2. Akiko Okuda lost to Lynda Xepoleas 6-2, 6-2
3. Janet Liu lost to Mara Schmidt 6-1, 6-2
4. lost to Daniela Vidal 7-6 (4), 6-0
5. lost to Gisella Pere 6-4, 6-2
6. Rachel Decker-Sadowski lost to Anna Dushkina 6-2, 6-1
1. Okuda/Smith lost to Rabot/Schmidt 8-3
2. Liu/Decker-Sadowski lost to Pere/Golder 8-3
3. Reichel/Stewart lost to Xepoleas/Vidal 8-2