Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Men's Soccer Season Ends with Loss at Providence

Article Image
Maarten van Ess     By John and Matt Risley

PROVIDENCE, R.I.- The Dartmouth men's soccer team played Providence even in the second half, but couldn't find the equalizing goal in a 1-0 loss to the Friars in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday (Nov. 17) afternoon.

The Friars scored the game-winner in the 11th minute and fended off the Big Green in the second half to advance to the second round of the national tournament where they will take on UC-Santa Barbara.

Junior midfielder Kevin Dzierzawski (Oakland Township, Mich.) led the Dartmouth (8-6-4) offense with three shots while seniors Lucky Mkosana (Bulawayo, Zimbabwe) and Maarten van Ess (Marlborough, Mass.) each added two shots in the loss.  Goalkeeper Noah Cohen (Johannesburg, South Africa) made two saves in the loss.

Despite trailing, 1-0, entering the second half the Big Green picked up their offensive intensity in the second half, pushing the ball into Providence (11-7-1) territory and registering several quality scoring opportunities.

Sophomore midfielder Colin Skelly (Wrightstown, Pa.) made passes through the midfield that allowed Dartmouth's forwards and midfielders to run onto the ball, but the Big Green had trouble getting anything past Providence goalkeeper, Jhojan Obando.

Senior Michael Donelan (Andover, Mass.) was also impressive with several long passes out of the back that put Dartmouth into scoring territory. Dzierzawski provided plenty of offense and teed up several driven balls from just outside the Friar goalmouth that went just wide.

Lucky Mkosana and freshman reserve Patrick Murray (Lakewood, Ohio) each had chances late in the contest for the equalizer but neither could unlock the Friar defense in the postseason loss.

It looked as if Providence was going to hang another goal on the Big Green just before halftime, but Cohen jumped out of the net to punch the ball out of the air keeping the Friar lead at, 1-0, heading into halftime.

Dartmouth was on the attack early, in the opening minutes of the game, the Big Green marched down the field and had several scoring opportunities on long crosses. Van Ess had the first shot of the game, which went just wide but the Big Green followed with several long crossing balls in front of the Friar goal.

Despite an evenly played game, with the Big Green controlling the run of play for long stretches, primarily in the midfield, Providence opened the scoring 10 minutes into the game, with a long crossing shot that went into the lower right hand corner just out of the reach of Cohen, making the game 1-0 in the 11th minute.

Dzierzawski had a chance on the equalizer with a rocket from about 20 yards out which the Providence goalkeeper had to make a play on. He has to come out of net with his hands outstretched to make the stop.

Dartmouth concludes the 2011 regular season with an 8-6-4 record with today's loss. The Big Green claimed the 2011 Dartmouth Classic title and earned its ninth Ivy League Championship and the Ivy League's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.