SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The No. 37 Dartmouth women’s tennis team won its third straight match, defeating San Diego State, 5-2, at the Aztec Tennis Center on Sunday. With the win, the Big Green improved to 11-1 on the season, while the Aztecs fell to 5-12.
Doubles play began with a victory at No. 1 when senior Taylor Ng and junior Kristina Mathis defeated Jana Buth and Paola Diaz, 6-3. SDSU was able to narrowly win at the No. 3 position, 7-5, but junior Julia Schroeder and freshman Racquel Lyn edged Kennedy Davis and Mia Smith by the same score to claim the doubles point.
In singles action, Ng took down Buth in two sets at No. 1 by scores of 6-2, 6-3, and Schroeder followed that up with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Mia Smith at the No. 4 spot, making it 3-0 in Dartmouth’s favor. An Aztec win at the No. 3 singles position gave SDSU its first win of the match, but Lyn clinched the match for the Big Green with a 6-3, 6-3 defeat of Berta Acero at No. 5.
Freshman Allison McCann added a 6-2, 6-4 win at the No. 6 position, while the Aztecs got one more at No. 5 to close the match.
With two more matches to be played in the Golden State, the Big Green will have a few days off before playing their next one against Long Beach State on Thursday, March 23.
1) Ng/Mathis (Dartmouth) def. Buth/Diaz (SDSU), 6-3
2) Lyn/Schroeder (Dartmouth) def. Davis/Smith (SDSU), 7-5
3) Valk/Larsson (SDSU) def. Crawford/McCann (Dartmouth), 7-5
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1) Ng (Dartmouth) def. Buth (SDSU), 6-2, 6-3
2) Davis (SDSU) def. Crawford (Dartmouth), 6-2, 5-7, 10-4
3) Diaz (SDSU) def. Mathis (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-0
4) Schroeder (Dartmouth) def. Smith (SDSU), 6-4, 6-1
5) Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Acero (SDSU), 6-3, 6-3
6) McCann (Dartmouth) def. Larsson (SDSU), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1,4,3,5,6,2