Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Dartmouth Drops Border Battle at Vermont, 13-8

Article Image
By John and Matt Risley
Related Links

BURLINGTON, Vt. – A late rally fell short for the Dartmouth men’s lacrosse team on Tuesday afternoon as the Big Green lost to regional rival Vermont, 13-8, at Virtue Field.

Dartmouth (0-2) held a 40-30 advantage in shots, but Catamounts (1-3) goaltender Justin Rosenberg made a season-high 13 saves to snap the home team's four-game losing streak in the border battle.  

The Green and White went 1-for-6 on their extra-man opportunities, while UVM found the back of the net on two-of-their-four chances. Though the score did not favor Dartmouth, it led in both groundballs (49-29) as well as faceoffs (winning 14-of-25).

The two squads traded the first six goals and Vermont scored two unanswered to take a 5-3 edge early in the second quarter. The Big Green would respond with two goals in a row to knot the game at five all as sophomores Billy Heidt and KC Beard beat Rosenberg.

Over the final four minutes of the first half, the Catamounts scored three consecutive tallies to take an 8-5 advantage into the break.

In the third quarter, Vermont stretched its lead to four as John Everett opened the second-half scoring. Dartmouth would answer back with two consecutive goals as Heidt scored his second of the day and season, while Jack McCormick netted his first collegiate tally. McCormick’s goal brought the Big Green to within two at 9-7 with 3:34 left in the third.

Through the remainder of the third and into the beginning of the fourth quarter, the Catamounts would again score three unanswered markers to take a 12-7 lead.

Junior Mike Olentine scored his second goal of the game with just over seven minutes remaining in regulation to cut the UVM lead to four. However, Olentine’s tally would be the last of the day for Dartmouth.

Down the stretch, the Big Green had scoring chances and a goal waived off, but Vermont put the game out of reach late as Dyson White notched the insurance marker.

Patrick Resch scored his first goal of the year for Dartmouth after missing most of last season due to injury and freshman Don Stephan found the back for the second contest in a row. Both Resch and Beard added assists to give them multi-point contests.

The Green went 13-for-15 on clears, while the Catamounts successfully got 19-of-20 balls out of their defensive zone. 

Blair Friedensohn made his second straight start between the pipes for Dartmouth, making seven saves in a losing effort.

The Big Green return to action this weekend, traveling to Dallas, Texas, to square off with Sacred Heart in non-conference action at the Patriot Cup hosted by SMU. The last meeting between the two was in 2012 as Dartmouth netted an 11-10 victory at Scully-Fahey.