Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Dartmouth Knocks Off Boston University, 4-2, in Midweek Battle

Article Image
By David Silverman(

BOSTON – Senior Nick Lovejoy scored his first career goal late in the second period to break a deadlock and help the Dartmouth men’s hockey team defeat Boston University, 4-2, Wednesday night at Agganis Arena.

Playing just his fourth career game at forward, Lovejoy, a natural defenseman, scored what would prove to be the game winner from his knees as the middle frame wore down, giving the Big Green its third win of the season (3-11-2).

Goalie Charles Grant was solid in net as he turned aside 26 shots from Terrier (7-10-2) sticks on the night.

The victory was the second straight against Boston University after last defeating the Hockey East foe, 3-2, back on Jan. 15, 2008. The last time Dartmouth beat the Terriers in consecutive meetings was on Nov. 26, 1980 and Jan. 6, 1982.

BU would actually take a 1-0 lead at the 7:49 mark as Cason Hohmann scored his fifth of the season on partial wrap-around beyond the outstretched pad of Grant in the Dartmouth goal.

The Terriers would continue to hold the one-goal advantage until the final minute of the first when junior Charlie Mosey finally got the Big Green on the board. The third-line center continued his hot play, scoring his third marker in the last four games, opting to fire a hard snap shot into the top left corner of the net on a 2-on-1, rather than force a pass across the slot

The second period saw the home team jump out to a 2-1 lead on Mike Grzelcyk’s 5-on-3 power-play goal at the 7:41 mark. That tally would be the lone bright spot in the frame for BU as Dartmouth seemed to have an extra jump in its step.

Sophomore winger Brad Schierhorn answered the Grzelcyk tally with his third of the season just 2:13 later, knocking in a rebound from a point shot. The Green and White would make the Terriers pay with another late goal as Lovejoy picked up his first with 1:19 left, slamming home a rebound in the crease to give the visitors its first lead of the night.

After a Dartmouth penalty put the Terriers on another power play, junior and leading scorer Eric Neiley gave the Green a two-goal lead with a shorthanded breakaway goal. The Warminster, Pa., native stole the puck at his own blueline and went the other way where he slid a backhand between the pads of BU’s Sean Maguire while being pulled down, drawing a penalty in addition to recording the first Dartmouth shorthanded goal of the season.

The goal was his 10th of the season, setting a new career high.

Milton, Mass., native Nick Bligh appeared to put the game out of reach with under six minutes to play, but his apparent goal was waved off due to goalie interference.

Dartmouth was 0-for-4 on the power play, while BU was 1-for-5. Maguire finished the game with 32 saves, but dropped to 1-6-0 with the loss.

The Big Green are back in action on Saturday as they take on New Hampshire in Manchester at the Verizon Wireless Arena. Game time between the two Granite State rivals is set for 5 p.m.