MALiBU, CALIF. - The Dartmouth women's tennis team dropped the opening match of its spring break road trip to No. 58 Iowa, 5-2, in a match played at Pepperdine University Monday afternoon.
The Big Green (6-2) got off to a fast start, winning the doubles point 2-1, but the Hawkeyes (7-5) battled back to take five of the six singles matches.
The loss was the first for Dartmouth since the spring opener against Boston College on Jan. 19 and it snapped a six-match winning streak.
In singles action, Bessen put the lone singles point on the board with a come-from-behind three-set victory against Zordania at No. 5. After dropping the first set, 1-6, the Las Vegas, Nev., native took the second set, 6-0, and the third set super-tiebreaker, 10-0.
The Big Green continue their six-game road swing on March 19, as they battle CSU Northridge at 4:00 p.m.
IOWA 5, DARTMOUTH 2
1. Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. Janet Liu (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-3
2. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Katherine Yau (Dartmouth), 6-2, 6-2
3. Morven McCulloch (Iowa) def. Akiko Okuda (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-3
4. Christina Harazin (Iowa) def. Melissa Matsuoka (Dartmouth), 7-6, 6-3
5. Sarah Bessen (Dartmouth) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 1-6, 6-0, 10-0
6. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Suzy Tan (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-0
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa) def. Okuda/Yau (Dartmouth), 8-3
2. Matsuoka/Bessen (Dartmouth) def. Zordani/Hindmarsh (Iowa), 8-6
3. Liu/S. Tan (Dartmouth) def. Talcott/Dohanics (Iowa), 8-6