Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Balanced Effort Leads Dartmouth to 7-6 Victory

Article Image
Senior Thomas Mattimore had a goal and an assist in the victory.     By Tim Cowie

HANOVER, N.H. – The Dartmouth men's lacrosse built a four-goal lead in the third quarter and held on for a 7-6 victory over Penn on Saturday at Scully-Fahey Field. The game came down to the final seconds. The Quakers had the ball down one and called a timeout with 32 seconds left.

The Big Green defense met the challenge as senior Fergus Campbell (New Canaan, Conn.) made a save with 24 seconds left in the stanza. Penn picked up the ensuing ground ball, but the Quakers turned it over with 13 seconds on the clock to seal the victory for Dartmouth. The win ended an eight-game losing streak for the Big Green, and improved the team to 3-8 overall and 1-4 in the Ivy League. Penn fell to 3-9 overall and 1-5 in the conference.

Freshman Jake Weil (Katonah, N.Y.) started the scoring in the second half, registering his second goal of the season 4:24 into the third. Weil, running from the center to the right side of the field, ripped a shot from 10-yards to give the Big Green a 3-1 lead.

Dartmouth pushed the advantage to 4-1, after senior Drew Tunney (Greenwich, Conn.) scored from point-blank range on an assist from senior Thomas Mattimore (Tiburon, Calif.). The team registered its third straight goal when senior Kip Dooley (Minneapolis, Minn.) gave the Big Green a 5-1 lead on his 10th goal of the season with 7:05 left in the quarter.

Penn closed the gap to three with 18 seconds left in the periond when Drew Belinsky scored while falling to the ground to make the score 5-2.

In the fourth, Penn struck first, scoring three minutes into the final stanza. John Conneely scored from left side of the cage to cut the deficit to two. In the span of 11 seconds, Dartmouth and the Quakers each registered a goal to bring the score to 6-4 with 7:46 left in the stanza. Mattimore tallied the Big Green goal and Tim Schwalje scored for Penn.

With 4:38 remaining in the game, sophomore Brandon Rotanz (Westport, Conn.) came from behind the cage on the near side, and scored a goal to push the Dartmouth lead to 7-4. After the Big Green committed two penalties, the Quakers took advantage with a man-up goal by Anthony Adler to bring the score to 7-5 with 3:37 left in the contest.

Penn cut the lead to one with 1:16 on the clock when Conneely made an underhand flip from five feet out that beat Campbell. The senior would get the last laugh when he made the save in the waning seconds to give Dartmouth the win.

Campbell and the defense in front of him helped the Big Green hold the Quakers to six goals. The goalkeeper made nine saves and grabbed four ground balls. The Big Green defense forced eight turnovers led by junior Pat Flynn (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) who caused two.

Dartmouth had six players score a goal with Rotanz netting two. Penn took more shots than the Big Green, 35-25, and each team committed 15 turnovers.

Each team scored in the opening quarter. Dartmouth took a one-goal lead as Rotanz continued his streak of scoring a goal in each game this season. But Penn added a goal late in the stanza to tie the score at one.

Junior Chris Costabile (Sykesville, Md.) scored the only goal of the second quarter to give the Big Green a 2-1 lead at halftime. Costabile received a pass from freshman Phil Hession (Canton, Mass.), and then fired shot that beat Penn goalkeeper Brian Feeney low and to the right.

Dartmouth heads to Vermont on Tuesday, April 24, for a 4 p.m. game.