FORT WORTH, Texas – No. 27 Dartmouth men’s tennis saw its NCAA journey come to an end with a 4-0 first-round loss to No. 33 Oregon at TCU’s Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
The Big Green wrapped up their impressive season with a 20-6 mark, while the Ducks improved to 18-9 and advanced to the second round, which will be played on Sunday.
Wins at the No. 2 and 3 doubles positions put Oregon up heading into singles. At the top spot, sophomores Charlie Broom and David Horneffer, ranked 71st in the latest ITA National Rankings, were leading No. 53 Thomas Laurent and Cormac Clissold, 5-4, when the match went unfinished.
The Ducks won at No. 3, 1 and 4 singles to clinch the victory. At the No. 2 position, Horneffer had won his first set against Simon Stevens, 7-5, and was leading the second by a score of 3-2. Senior Ciro Riccardi dropped his first set to Clissold, 6-3, but was ahead, 6-5, in the second.
Dartmouth had a great season, starting the spring on a program-record 12-match winning streak, claiming its first ECAC Indoor title, catapulting into the national rankings, winning its first Ivy League title since 1997 and earning an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. A few days before the match against Oregon, Chris Drake was named Coach of the Year, Broom and Horneffer were selected to the first team for both singles and doubles, and freshman Dan Martin was tabbed to the second team for singles.
1) No. 71 Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) vs. No. 53 Laurent/Clissold (Oregon), 5-4, DNF
2) Gentry/Stevens (Oregon) def. Glasnovic/Ross (Dartmouth), 6-3
3) Soemarno/Roberts (Oregon) def. Conklin/Fliegner (Dartmouth), 6-4
Order of finish: 2,3
1) No. 22 Laurent (Oregon) def. No. 119 Broom (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-3
2) Horneffer (Dartmouth) vs. Stevens (Oregon), 7-5, 3-2, DNF
3) Tanaka (Oregon) def. Martin (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-1
4) Gentry (Oregon) def. Fliegner (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-2
5) Riccardi (Dartmouth) vs. Clissold (Oregon), 3-6, 6-5, DNF
6) Conklin (Dartmouth) vs. Oshima (Oregon), 5-7, 0-4, DNF
Order of finish: 3,1,4