PRINCETON, N.J. – Second-seeded Dartmouth fell to No. 1 seed and host Princeton, 4-1, in the final of the ECAC Championship on Sunday. The Big Green dipped to 5-4, while the Tigers remain undefeated with a 6-0 mark.
Wins at No. 1 and 3 doubles gave Princeton a 1-0 lead heading into singles. At the No. 2 position, senior Kristina Mathis and sophomore Racquel Lyn were leading their opponents, 5-1, when their match went unfinished.
Sophomore Chuyang Guan defeated Tiffany Chen, 6-3, 6-2, to get a point on the board for Dartmouth, but the Tigers ended the match with victories at the No. 2, 3 and 5 positions. Although their matches were ended early, Mathis at No. 1 and freshman Abigail Chiu at the No. 4 spot both won their first sets and were in good positions to take the second.
The Big Green will have two weeks away from the court, returning to play one match on the road against Duke on Sunday, Feb. 25.
1) Schrage/Kalhorn (Princeton) def. Schroeder/Chiu (Dartmouth), 6-1
2) Mathis/Lyn (Dartmouth) vs. McKee/Steffensen (Princeton), 5-1, DNF
3) Goodwin/Rodillosso (Princeton) def. Cable/Chuang (Dartmouth), 6-2
1) Mathis (Dartmouth) vs. Steffensen (Princeton), 6-3, 5-3, DNF
2) Schrage (Princeton) def. Schroeder (Dartmouth), 6-1, 6-4
3) Kalhorn (Princeton) def. Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-4
4) Chiu (Dartmouth) vs. McKee (Princeton), 7-5, 1-2, DNF
5) Pollner (Princeton) def. Hwang (Dartmouth), 6-1, 6-1
6) Guan (Dartmouth) def. Chen (Princeton), 6-3, 6-2