HOUSTON, Texas – The Dartmouth men’s tennis team won the doubles point to get an early lead, but ultimately fell to No. 41 Rice, 4-1, at the George R. Brown Tennis Center on Saturday. The Big Green fell to 5-9, while the Owls improved to 16-5.
At the No. 1 doubles position, senior Diego Pedraza and sophomore Roko Glasnovic got things started with a huge 6-2 victory over Tommy Bennett and David Warren, who were ranked No. 11 in the most recent ITA National Rankings. Junior Max Fliegner and freshman Charlie Broom followed that up with a 6-3 win at the No. 3 spot to give Dartmouth the first point. Even though their match went unfinished, senior George Wall and freshman David Horneffer were leading their opponents, 5-4.
Trailing by a point heading into singles, the Owls turned things around to win four straight to take the match. Rice won at the No. 6 position to tie the score, got the go-ahead at the No. 4 spot and added victories at the No. 2 and 3 singles to end the match.
Done with its matches in Texas, Dartmouth will head to Louisiana to face LSU on Tuesday, March 21.
1) Pedraza/Glasnovic (Dartmouth) def. No. 11 Bennett/Warren (Rice), 6-2
2) Wall/Horneffer (Dartmouth) vs. Llamas/Janglin (Rice), 5-4, DNF
3) Fliegner/Broom (Dartmouth) def. Hansen/Munch (Rice), 6-3
Order of finish: 1,3
1) Malik (Rice) vs. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-4, 3-6, DNF
2) Bennett (Rice) def. Fliegner (Dartmouth), 6-2, 7-5
3) No. 112 Hansen (Rice) def. Broom (Dartmouth), 6-2, 7-5
4) Warren (Rice) def. Horneffer (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-3
5) Rutledge (Rice) vs. Wall (Dartmouth), 7-5, 4-4, DNF
6) Janglin (Rice) def. Schmidt (Dartmouth), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 6,4,2,3