WINCHESTER, Mass. – Dartmouth men’s tennis defeated Boston University, 7-0, on Friday evening. The Big Green improved to 5-7, while the Terriers dipped to 5-8.
“Our team looked focused and ready to play at the beginning of doubles and singles,” head coach Chris Drake said. “We executed our games and put a lot of pressure on our opponent.”
Dartmouth got off to a good start by winning the doubles point. Senior George Wall and freshman David Horneffer had a 6-1 victory at the No. 3 position, and senior Diego Pedraza and sophomore Roko Glasnovic followed that up with a 6-0 win at the No. 1 spot to head into singles action with a 1-0 lead.
Just one of the six singles matches had to go to a third set; the rest were easily won in two. Horneffer made it 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-1 win at the No. 4 position, while junior Ciro Riccardi had a 6-3, 6-1 defeat of Lucas Bombonatti at No. 1. Freshman Charlie Broom and sophomore Eddie Grabill were victorious at the No. 3 and 6 positions, respectively, to give the Big Green a 5-0 edge and clinch the win. At the No. 5 spot, Wall defeated Mario Sandoval 6-2, 3-6, 6-1, and Fliegner added a 7-6, 6-4 win at No. 2 to end the match.
Dartmouth will take two weeks away from competition before taking a seven-day, five-match road trip through Texas and Louisiana for spring break.
1) Pedraza/Glasnovic (Dartmouth) def. Bombonatti/Simhadri (BU), 6-0
2) Sandoval/De Vries (BU) def. Fliegner/Broom (Dartmouth), 7-5
3) Wall/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Leelavanich/Avila (BU), 6-1
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1) Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Bombonatti (BU), 6-3, 6-1
2) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Leelavanich (BU), 7-6, 6-4
3) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Simhadri (BU), 6-1, 6-2
4) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. De Vries (BU), 6-0, 6-1
5) Wall (Dartmouth) def. Sandoval (BU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
6) Grabill (Dartmouth) def. Avila (BU), 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 4,1,3,6,5,2