Official Website of Dartmouth College Varsity Athletics

Dartmouth Earns 2-1 Win at Columbia

Article Image
Leading scorer Alex Adelabu scored his eight goal of the season in Dartmouth's 2-1 win...     By John and Matt Risley

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Despite a late goal from the host Lions, the Dartmouth men's soccer team pulled out a 2-1 win at Columbia on Saturday (Oct. 20). The win gave the Big Green its second consecutive win and its first Ivy League road win of the season.

The game was a tale of two halves for the squads. Dartmouth (6-6-0, 3-1-0 Ivy League) dominated the first frame with eight shots to just three from the host team while Columbia (3-7-3, 1-2-1 Ivy League) dominated the offense in the second half.

Dartmouth didn't waste anytime getting on the board as leading scorer Alex Adelabu (Houston, Texas) gave the Big Green an early 1-0 lead just 7:03 into the game.

After a header shot from Patrick Murray (Lakewood, Ohio) sailed just wide, Adelabu connected on a pass from sophomore midfielder Robin Alnas (Gothenburg, Sweden) and outran the Columbia defender; putting the ball just past the outstretched arms of Columbia goalkeeper Kyle Jackson.

Adelabu's shot seemed to jumpstart the Big Green offense as the Big Green tallied the next three consecutive shots, as the home team recorded just their second shot of the contest at the 42:28 mark of the first half.

Murray's first attempt at a goal was swatted away but he wouldn't be denied twice, picking up his second goal in as many games at the 13:04 mark.

Senior co-captain Kevin Dzierzawski (Oakland Township, Mich.) placed a corner kick in the center of the box and after the ball took several bounces, Murray put it in the corner, giving the Big Green a 2-0 advantage -- a lead they would take into the halftime break.

Despite the host Lions regaining some offensive form in the second half, Dartmouth's defense held them scoreless for 80 minutes. Goalkeeper Noah Cohen (Johannesburg, South Africa) didn't make any saves in the victory but the Big Green defense held the Lions at bay for the majority of the contest.

Columbia's Brendan O'Hearn looked as is he might get one goal back with a header at the 61:04 mark that hit the Big Green post followed by another Lions shot. The host team did get one goal back on a Big Green defensive header that went awry and landed in the Big Green net, cutting Dartmouth's lead to 2-1 with just under 10 minutes remaining but that was as close as the home team would get as Dartmouth closed out the game.

The Big Green returns to Burnham Field for a Homecoming showdown with rival, Harvard, on Saturday (Oct. 27). Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.

Dartmouth (7-6, 3-1) vs. Columbia (3-7-3, 1-2-1)
Date: 10/20/12      Attendance: 255

Goals by period          1  2  Tot
Dartmouth...........      2  0 -  2
Columbia............       0  1 -  1

1. 7:03 DART Adelabu, Alex (7) (Alnas, Robin) - 6 sent a nice pass and 14 chased it down, outrunning CU for the goal
2.  13:04 DART Murray, Patrick (3) (Dzierzawski, Kevin) - kicked home a corner that got batted around
3.  80:28 COL-M OWN GOAL (1) (unassisted) - Own goal, header that went over goalie

Shots: Dartmouth 12, Columbia 11
Saves: Dartmouth 0 (), Columbia 1 (Jackson, Kyle 1)