PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Saturday evening ended the regular season for the No. 19 Dartmouth men’s soccer team, who came out of Stevenson-Pincine Field with a 1-0 win over Brown.

The Big Green finish with an overall record of 12-3-1, with a 6-0-1 Ivy record, while the Bears fall to 8-6-3 with a conference record of 2-3-2. Saturday’s win also gives an outright hold over the Ivy League title for the 2017 season. 

“We are certainly proud of the team tonight,” said head coach Chad Riley. “We knew Brown would pose a strong challenge and I thought our performance was solid. We could have done a little better with some of our attacking play, but overall we played well, and Matt Danilack did a great job finishing off a great delivery from Dawson (McCartney).”

The first half was 45 minutes of possession changing and the road team fighting for a chance to get on the board. Dartmouth took 10 shots in the first period but a handful were wide of the net and some deflected by the Brown defense, which was aggressive in keeping up with the attack on the net. The Bears had at least three defenders in the box when their opposition was nearing the goal, making it very congested and difficult to get cross passes or shots off. 

After entering halftime with a gridlock at 0-0, the Big Green went back on the attack but Brown was ready for it, continuing the defense in deflecting shot attempts and creating a few turnovers. The road team posted nine shots in the second half totaling 19 while the Bears took 11 total.

Game play was aggressive and the cold weather impacted tough plays, with a few players going down to bloody noses, and officials stopping the game clock to ensure their safety. With 22 overall fouls, there were several free kicks, but also moments when the officials let play continue as the players were getting more physical. 

While both teams continued back and forth, in the 75th minute Dartmouth found the recipe to break the tie. A Brown foul late in the 74th set up the Big Green with a free kick, where freshman Dawson McCartney took the kick, sending the ball into the box for senior Matt Danilack who sent a header into the net past the keeper’s extended hands. The pair were a dual-assist on last weekend’s lone goal against Cornell, and the goal against Brown is Danilack’s sixth for the season, and McCartney’s eighth assist.

As the regular season comes to an end for the league on Sunday, Dartmouth will await the announcement of its next opponent. The NCAA Tournament Selection Show will be on Monday afternoon, and information regarding the Big Green’s action in the College Cup will be posted on as soon as it becomes available.