Related Links

HAMILTON, N.Y. – Saturday afternoon’s game at Colgate started strong and finished with a bang for the Dartmouth men’s hockey team. Unfortunately, the middle period was what cost them in a 3-2 ECAC Hockey loss at Class of 1965 Arena.

Things were looking great in the early goings with senior Corey Kalk notching his second goal of the season at 10:10 of the first period to give the Big Green (2-4-0, 2-3-0 ECAC) an early lead against one of the hottest teams and best goalies in the nation.

But an injury to starting netminder Devin Buffalo after just 16 minutes of play caused a break in the momentum and got Dartmouth off its game. Adrian Clark came in in relief of Buffalo and played well, only allowing a pair of goals against in nearly 43 minutes of action.

It wasn’t as if Clark was ill prepared to come into the contest. In fact, the sophomore goaltender made several remarkable saves in the game with the lone two goals scored against him both needing to be reviewed for confirmation that they had come without the home team interfering.

However, the scores from Mike Panowyk and Bobby McMann at 11:20 and 15:52, respectively, of the middle stanza counted and gave the home team a 2-1 lead after 40 minutes.

Nothing happened for a majority of the third period outside of Clark and Colgate’s Colton Point trading off impressing the crowd with stellar save after stellar save.

Then McMann hit the empty net with 36 seconds remaining in regulation to seal the victory with his second of the game, but did not deny the final moments of drama.

Freshman Matt Baker notched his first career goal with just 8.5 seconds remaining in regulation and gave Dartmouth a glimmer of hope that it could tie things up. However, that never came to fruition and Colgate pulled even in the all-time series with their Dartmouth counterparts, 50-50-6, in 106 meetings.

Clark finished with 24 saves, including 21 over the course of the last two periods. Point stopped 28 with 12 coming in the third.

Alex Jasiek and John Ernsting were credited with assists on the Kalk goal, while Collin Rutherford and Cameron Roth picked up helpers on Baker’s first collegiate score.

The power play was 0-for-4 on the afternoon for the Green and White, while Colgate was 2-for-3 with the man-advantage. That Raiders’ figure is slightly misleading as the second power-play goal came on the empty net.

Colgate pushed its unbeaten stretch to seven games (4-0-3) with the win.

A two-week break is ahead for the Big Green as they have exams for the fall term. The team is back in action Saturday, Nov. 25 at home against regional rival and former league foe Vermont. Puck drop is 7 p.m. at Thompson Arena.