HANOVER, N.H. – Dartmouth women’s hockey fell to Brown, 3-2, at Thompson Arena on Saturday afternoon. The Big Green dipped to 2-5-0 overall and 1-3-0 in ECAC Hockey play, while the Bears won their first game and improved to 1-7-0 and 1-5-0 in league play.

Junior Kate Landers was on fire all weekend and ended the game against Brown with two points, assisting on the first marker and scoring Dartmouth’s second of the day. Senior Hailey Noronha netted her second of the year, while sophomore Christina Rombaut and junior Alyssa Baker both had helpers. Junior Christine Honor had 23 saves, while being saddled with the loss. 

“This was a pretty disappointing weekend for us,” interim head coach Joe Marsh said. “We had a good start. Good things happen when you shoot the puck. That first goal was a fabulous effort by Christina, who made a great pass to Hailey. And we got a break on our second goal when no one saw it land. We had some good things going. I give Brown credit. They bounced back. And after they scored their second goal, it was a dog fight. 

“There are certain things in hockey that you can control,” Marsh continued. “And there are things that you can’t. This is on us. We wanted four points and we came up empty. The kids are working hard. We just need to find what we can do better.”

A pair of first-period goals gave Dartmouth a 2-0 advantage. Noronha got the Big Green on the board at 5:37, getting the puck from Rombaut and Landers, and, without even a moment’s hesitation, fired to the left of Brown goalie Calla Isaac. 

Dartmouth’s second goal was an interesting one. At 15:40, with two Bears directly in front of her, Landers took a chance, hitting Maybelline Beiring’s stick at such an angle that it sent the puck flying straight up, coming down over Isaac’s right shoulder into the crease and rolling into the net.

Trailing by two, Brown quickly evened the score, finding the back of the net at 2:52 and 4:26 of the second to make it a 2-2 game. Dartmouth had a number of opportunities to get the go-ahead score, but nothing came to fruition despite its best efforts. 

The teams were tied at two for the majority of the third period and it looked as if the game may go to overtime until the Bears’ Sam Donovan got the puck past Honor to put Brown ahead by one. Dartmouth pulled Honor in order to try and tie things up, but ran out of time in regulation.

The Big Green will have almost two weeks away from the ice for final exams, returning to Thompson to host Holy Cross the day after Thanksgiving.